You have implemented state and federal guidelines for social distancing on your campus, but what do you do when students and the community don’t follow the rules?
Higher education institutions can be as prepared as possible to reopen their campuses in terms of putting policies and procedures in place, but what they cannot completely account for is how people will respond to and comply with the rules they set out. Planning for and enforcing social distancing guidelines is perhaps one of the trickiest aspects of reopening campus, as there are many variables which will necessitate institutions to hold people accountable.
Join us for this highly interactive session where our speaker will guide the discussion around these issues and help the group determine the most pressing questions and challenges to collectively unpack.
Who Should Attend
This training will primarily benefit Student Affairs leaders. Other institutional leaders who are serving on task forces or planning committees related to the fall 2020 reopening of campus may also find this discussion valuable.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time
First, our expert will present how they’re implementing social distancing requirements on their campuses, especially in classrooms and heavily trafficked spaces and buildings. Then you will break into small groups to discuss these major issues:
1. Building your enforcement team – How do you train your faculty, staff, and campus community to communicate expectations? How can they de-escalate or confront social distancing-related issues that may crop up in the classroom? What kind of training do residence life staff or other frontline staff need on how to confront breaches of social distancing rules?
2. Holding community members and students accountable – How can you ensure students and the community follow the rules on and off campus? What does the disciplinary process look like for students? Are institutions modifying their honor codes or codes of conduct around mask-wearing or social distancing? What happens if they don’t want to wear a mask—how do you approach them?
AVP for Student Life Services, University of Nevada Reno
Romando brings a strong portfolio of experience that helps him succeed in leading division and institutional initiatives around student success for an increasingly diverse student body.
Dean of Student Life, Johns Hopkins University
Dr. Smita Ruzicka serves as Dean of Student Life at Johns Hopkins University, where she provides leadership for a wide portfolio of services and programs aimed to enhance the overall student experience. Her portfolio includes student leadership and involvement, diversity and inclusion, health and wellness, residential life, crisis management and support services.