There are a variety of divisive current events that we’re all experiencing and can no longer ignore—national events such as the U.S. presidential election or the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as local issues that are important to your campus community. Your students will likely exercise their first amendment rights to stand up for or against the issues they feel passionate about.
How confident are you that your policies include all student groups with various social identities and that students understand the required procedures should they decide to organize? When students request support from the larger community, how do you set clear expectations for the appropriate level of faculty and staff involvement? You may feel like you have more questions than answers when preparing your campus community to respond to these hot button issues.
Join us online to get answers to these burning questions. You will learn how to take a proactive approach to align your campus community’s first amendment rights and ensure all perspectives are equitably supported. Our expert instructor will provide tips and strategies for:
- Creating policies and procedures that are clear and equitable for all members of your community
- Defining and communicating faculty/staff roles in cases where students request partnership for their events so that they can balance their personal and professional responsibilities
- Identifying training needs for your campus community, including students, faculty, and staff
Get $100 off when you register for our upcoming virtual conference,
6 Strategies for Uniting Student Activists and Campus Administrators,
in addition to this program. Simply add both trainings to your cart and check out.
Who Should Attend
This webcast is ideal for campus leaders, such as Vice Presidents of Student or Academic Affairs, Senior Diversity Officers, and Human Resource Directors. Anyone looking for direction and guidance on how to establish policies and procedures to help campus staff proactively respond to community members who feel their first amendment rights need to be expressed will benefit from this training.
You will benefit from this webcast if you’re just beginning work in this area or if you’ve already started but are looking for fresh ideas.
To help you create a plan for how to respond to current events, our expert instructor will present you with three real-life scenarios that you may confront. You’ll use these scenarios to review the following topics:
- Policies and Procedures - Learn how to evaluate and update your policies and procedures including your student code of conduct so that they are inclusive and resonate with all student groups.
- Clarifying Roles – Identify how you can set and communicate expectations with your faculty and staff regarding their support and involvement in student protests.
- Training - Get tips for how to train your students, student leaders, and faculty/staff about the possible consequences of their decisions and the impact they may have on the campus community.
As a group, you’ll brainstorm best practices for responding to the scenarios, so you can walk away with collective knowledge of how varying institutions respond to current events in an equitable and responsible way.
Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Center for Diversity and Inclusion and International Programs and Services, Michigan Technological University
Kellie is currently pursuing her Doctorate in Education Leadership at Capella University and has a Master's Degree in Education from Regis University in Denver Colorado and a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology from State University of New York at Oneonta. Kellie has been working in Higher Ed for 14 years with previous roles in Academic Support and Learning Center management.
What You Get
Get the live webcast and the recording for one price.
Get access to live webcast including Q&A.
Receive permanent and unlimited access to recording.
Download speaker slides and supplemental materials.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.