by John Yaun,
Executive Director, Office of Housing and Residential Life,
Cal State University San Bernardino
Given the nature of their work, campus housing directors are in a unique position to work with students, staff, and faculty and establish themselves as leaders in campus sustainability efforts.
What could you do at your campus? Here is a checklist of ways in which campus housing directors can work to improve sustainability in construction, education, student leadership, purchasing, and recycling:
How many of these are you currently doing?
How many could you be doing?
I recommend sharing this checklist with your colleagues to start some critical conversations. If you're thinking of creating a campus housing sustainability initiative, make sure to
- Include sustainability in department strategic planning
- Create campus partnerships
- Engage students in all aspects of planning
- Operationalize sustainability into all aspects of the department
- Assess your plan and show quantifiable results to the campus community
Want to talk further? You can reach me at John.Yaun@csusb.edu.