Be better prepared to effectively lead through crisis situations on your campus.
In today’s uncertain climate, the need for higher education institutions to be equipped to handle emergent crisis situations is paramount. A crisis for an institution can have far-reaching consequences if not managed appropriately. This highly experiential training is designed to provide you with the tools, skill set, and knowledge you need to effectively:
- Recognize a crisis and where it falls on the crisis continuum (gauge how serious the situation is)
- Identify and build the right team to respond, and define each member’s roles and responsibilities
- Direct a comprehensive response, while also managing the day-to-day operations
- Make critical decisions in responding to the crisis
- Ensure that your institution emerges stronger on the other end of the crisis
Join our expert instructors for this unique hands-on training to empower yourself and your team to successfully lead your institution through a crisis.
A One-of-a-Kind Intensive Training
This unique training is focused specifically on the role of Presidents and senior leaders amidst institutional crises. Designed to empower institutional leaders to guide and direct efforts on campus, this training will be intensive and outcomes-driven. Throughout the event, you will take part in a simulation of the complexities and pressures of the early hours of a crisis and improve your ability to successfully navigate these types of situations.
Collectively, our expert instructors have 35 years of experience in higher education and 59 years of experience in the US Military. The approach to this conference is born directly from their extensive experience in training and mentoring senior army leaders in crisis action and execution.
Who Should Attend
This conference has been specifically designed for presidents and senior-level leadership staff in higher education. Leaders from the following functional areas have benefitted from this conference:
- Presidents and Executive Staff
- Marketing and Communications
- External/Public Relations
- Student Affairs
- Enrollment Management
- Public Safety and Operations
- Finance and Administration
To get the most out of the conference, we encourage you to attend as an institutional team.
After making an initial press statement, the next step that a crisis requires on the part of the response team is purposeful planning about how you are going to proceed moving forward. In this session, your instructors will teach you a practical framework for your planning process to help you address key questions such as:
- What is the mission statement for the crisis?
- Where do we want the institution to end up once it is all over?
- How can we emerge from the crisis even stronger?
- What is our timeline, and what are our next steps?
- What criteria will we use to determine if we are handling the crisis effectively?
The emphasis during this session will continue to be on real-life examples and hands-on practical experience.
Major General Jim Boozer
Jim Boozer is a career Army general officer, serving at the strategic level with more than 30 years of experience in leading active organizations ranging in size from 30 to 25,000 personnel. His expertise is in the art of command during crisis. He brings a holistic blend of senior leader skills and technical experience for leaders at the highest executive level. MG Boozer is a graduate of The Citadel, holds a master’s degree from the venerable Army War College and has been awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Maryland.
Colonel Cardon Crawford
Following retirement from the Army, he served as Director of Government and Community Affairs at The Citadel, where he formed and chairs the college’s Crisis Action Team (CAT). As the CAT chair, he successfully led the president and senior staff through three national-level crises that held the potential to negatively affect the reputation, image and brand of the college. He served as Executive Assistant to the President of the National Defense University. He is a graduate of The Citadel and holds master’s degrees from Central Michigan University and The National War College.
Questions About the Event?
Program Manager, Academic Impressions