Learn what you and your campus community can do to ensure that international students feel safe and welcome at your institution.
This program will teach you practical methods for establishing communities of safety and support for international students in times of political uncertainty. We will focus on the foundational practices that can help international students feel safe and welcome on your campus and discuss how you can address heightened concerns that follow new political statements or legislation. We’ll also share tactics from across higher education, such as:
- Accompanying international students when they run errands
- Creating safe spaces for on-campus communities, especially in regards to religious practices
- Hosting town halls to address concerns
- Providing access to experts on immigration law
Who Should Attend
This training will benefit professionals who work to bring international students to their campus and make them feel welcome. This may include professionals from:
- International student affairs
- Marketing and communications
- Enrollment and admissions
- In this first section, we will discuss foundational practices institutions should do on a regular basis:
- Off-campus housing
- Religious practice
- Student board
- In this second section, we will discuss ways to address concerns with new policies and current events:
- Town halls with experts
- Close communication with International student support
In her role, Leah assists international students in transitioning to the University, promotes engagement and retention efforts, and advocates for student needs. As a student affairs professional with a background in residential life, safety services, and community development, Leah has a passion for helping students and believes that cultural exchange is an incredibly powerful learning tool. Leah has traveled around the world (most recently to Guatemala, Denmark, and Thailand), and recently completed her dissertation on how college students navigate the reentry process following a global service learning program.
Live Webcast Registration + Digital Recording
- Access to the live webcast: Invite your team!
- Links to all presentation materials and resources
- Permanent digital recording of the live webcast
Questions About the Event?