Some senior leaders starting a new position may still imagine they will be granted an informal “honeymoon” period with the time and space to acclimate to their new responsibilities, conduct a “listening tour” before making any big decisions, and build relationships.
The reality, however, is starkly different. In today’s world of higher education, senior leaders need to assess their new situation with speed and precision and immediately respond to acute challenges requiring quick and decisive attention.
When transitioning to a new senior leadership position, it is all too easy to overlook key considerations related to both people and the process. Join us online for a unique two-part webcast series designed to help senior leaders address the demands of their new position. Our expert speakers will help you uncover crucial considerations in two important domains: people and processes. You will leave these webcasts feeling more confident to embark on your transition with intention and make quick, mindful, and sound decisions.
Who Should Attend
The webcast will offer proven practices for both academic and administrative leaders at the Dean or Vice President level.
This two-part webcast series will take place over two consecutive Fridays.
People: Assessing and Managing Your Most Important Relationships
September 18, 2020 | 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Eastern
In this first session, our instructors will present and discuss the following considerations:
- Navigating trust and relationships, both internally and externally
- Setting boundaries
- Identifying skills and competencies while building a team
- Learning the politics and agendas at play
- Uncovering the gossip, campus lore, and misinformation that influence progress
- Navigating the political landscape and power dynamics, including inherited issues
Process: Diagnosing and Prioritizing Decisions
September 25, 2020 | 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Eastern
In the second session, our instructors will dive deeper into the following discussion points:
- Updating communication strategies, including crisis management plans and transparency
- Creating or reinforcing a culture of data-supported decision making
- Examining shared governance
- Assessing academic and operational processes, including accreditation issues
- Budgeting and resource allocation
- Reviewing key policies
- Setting the stage for your legacy
Questions About the Event? Email this event's Program Manager, Patricia Sandler.
Maria Thompson, Ph.D.
President and CEO, Retired, Coppin State University
Maria is a career educator whose work experience spans a variety of institutional categories, including research universities, comprehensive universities, land-grant universities, urban located, rural located, HBCUs, and PWIs. She was president and CEO of Coppin State University (CSU), provost and vice president for academic affairs at the State University of New York (SUNY), and vice president for research and sponsored programs at Tennessee State University.
Susan C Turell, Ph.D.
Former Provost, Marywood University
In higher education for 29 years, Susan brings a passion to her work for supporting people and designing and implementing effective processes. She served in leadership as a department chair, associate provost, dean, and provost. She brings those experiences, as well as her training and practice as a psychologist, to synthesize best practices and approaches in a new paradigm about what it means to be an effective leader in 21st century higher education.
What You Get
Get the live webcast and the recording for one price.
Get access to live webcast including Q&A.
Receive permanent and unlimited access to recording.
Download speaker slides and supplemental materials.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.