Learn how to take care of yourself, your students, and your colleagues in the midst of hate speech.
Hate speech incidents are a growing concern on college campuses and can come in many forms:
- Controversial keynote speakers and event topics
- Disruptive student demonstrations
- Anonymous hate speech written on campus property
Register for this webcast to learn how to respond to hate speech incidents in ways that serve students, leadership, faculty, and staff. In these moments, you may feel torn between advocating for the students and acting on behalf of the institution. We’ll help resolve this conflict by sharing policies and procedures that create safe spaces for students while encouraging holistic institutional responses.
Who Should Attend
Entry- and mid-level student affairs professionals and faculty will learn how to respond to and communicate about hate speech incidents when they arise. DEI professionals and student affairs leadership, such as deans of students and VPs of student affairs, will also benefit by learning how they can better support their teams through these experiences.
1) Advocating for Students – Learn how you can better support your students before and after hate speech incidents.
2) Encouraging Courageous Leadership – Learn how to communicate and collaborate with senior leadership in a way that will foster courageous leadership around freedom of speech.
3) The Power of Self-Care – Learn simple tips for how to take care of yourself and your colleagues in the aftermath of a hate speech incident.
Assistant Dean of Students, Loyola University Chicago
With eight years of experience in facilitating social justice and diversity trainings, leadership and identity development, and crisis management, Paige Gardner (she/her/hers) currently serves as an Assistant Dean of Students for Coordinated Assistance and Resource Education (CARE) at Loyola University Chicago. Read Paige’s full bio here.
Questions About the Event? Email this event’s Program Manager, Lisa Lafflam.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session – a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording – a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.