As a Department Chair, one of the most important relationships you have to forge is the one with your Dean. Ideally, this relationship is built on mutual trust, healthy communication, and a shared understanding of what the department—and by extension, the College—is trying to achieve. But such a relationship takes work, and the onus is on you as the Chair to understand how to best manage up and work with your Dean to accomplish these goals.
Join us for a webcast where our speaker will teach you how to effectively set up a positive relationship with your Dean. Our expert, who has served as a Department Chair for over a decade under four different Deans, will review the three key building blocks of an effective Dean-Chair working relationship and offer example-based strategies from his own experience to help you get there.
Who Should Attend
This webcast will help set new Department Chairs up for success when it comes to forging a strong working relationship with their Dean. It will also benefit existing Chairs who are looking to improve or strengthen a relationship with their current Dean.
Building Block #1: Understanding the Chair-Dean relationship
- What should this relationship look like?
- What is each party’s responsibility to one another?
Building Block #2: Getting on the same page as your Dean
- Seeing the vision for the College
- Understanding personal and professional aspirations
- Ways to support your Dean’s initiatives
Building Block #3: Establishing effective communication
- Identifying communication styles and preferences
- Making the best use of face time with your Dean
- How to communicate when you disagree
Chair and Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts Lowell
Since 2011, Martin has been a Professor and the Chair of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Massachusetts Lowell. In his role as Department Chair, he has been supporting University students in their pursuit of innovation and novel ideas to commercial success. He collaborates with several innovation centers and incubators in Massachusetts.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
What You Get
Get the live webcast and the recording for one price.
Get access to live webcast including Q&A.
Receive permanent and unlimited access to recording.
Download speaker slides and supplemental materials.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.