Table of Contents
Build your toolkit and gain confidence in managing your department’s budget.
Department budgeting requires more than just tracking revenue and expenses in a spreadsheet. This video course presents you with the tools, tips, and knowledge you need to plan for, create, manage, and communicate about your department’s budget in a strategic and meaningful way, ensuring the needs of your students, faculty, and staff are fully met.
- You will learn how to:
- Approach decision-making in a way that supports your department’s highest priorities
- Communicate with five essential partners to drive the right levels of engagement, trust, and collaboration
- Approach budget cuts in a way that mitigates fear and instead creates opportunity within your department
The principles of budgeting shared in this course can be implemented by any Department Chair or Program Director responsible for overseeing a budget. This video course will be especially beneficial for chairs who are new to budgeting and/or those who have received little training on the subject.
Module 1: Understanding the Foundations of Budgeting as a Chair
- Lesson 1 – Types of Institutional Budgets
- Lesson 2 – Budget Models
- Lesson 3 – Revenue and Expenses
- Lesson 4 – The Chair’s Role in Budgeting
- Lesson 5 – Budget Partners
Module 2: Building and Managing Your Budget
- Lesson 6 – Planning for Your Budget
- Lesson 7 – Tips for Creating Your Budget
- Lesson 8 – Identifying Your Priorities
- Lesson 9 – Putting Your Budget Together
- Lesson 10 – Monitoring Your Budget
Module 3: Creating Engagement and Navigating Difficult Situations
- Lesson 11 – Communicating Your Budget
- Lesson 12 – Navigating Budget Cuts
- Lesson 13 – Negotiating for Additional Funding
- 13 lessons covered in about two hours
- One workbook which includes 14 resources and worksheets that provide you with hands-on practice in creating and managing your budget
- Two spreadsheet templates that you can use and customize to create and monitor your budget
- Bite-sized lessons with course content that are broken down into chunks of no more than 13 minutes
- Progress at your own pace so that your budget is created over time with intention and strategic focus
- Valued at $495. Free for members.