Take control of your career by defining where you want to go and how to get there.
Many within higher ed struggle with mapping out possible career paths. This happens if you don’t know what is available to you, how to get to where you want to go, and/or you don't always feel like you have the appropriate guidance from others.
Join us online to learn how to embrace your career ambitions and map out a plan for how to make them happen. In this working session, our expert instructor will introduce you to a rubric that helps you examine your career goals, consider obstacles and tradeoffs along the way, and define realistic ways to achieve your goals. You'll also work in small groups with your peers to apply the rubric to your own context and discuss the impact it can have on your career development.
If any of these questions apply to you, you will find this program beneficial:
- Do you want to plan for your career future?
- Have you thought about when you will retire and what you want to do between now and then?
- If you are faculty, do you wonder if academic administration is the right fit for you?
- Have you examined your competing professional and personal priorities in a systematic way to see how you can find balance?
Walk away with a tool that you can use throughout your career to ground you in where you want to go and how to get there.
Who Should Attend
This webcast is designed for those who are looking for guidance on how to identify potential future career paths within and outside of higher ed. You will benefit from this training no matter your current career level or job function—whether you are faculty, staff, or administration. If you’re looking for ways to examine your competing professional and personal priorities to find more balance in your life, this training is for you!
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Eastern
Our expert instructor will demonstrate how to use a career mapping tool by sharing personal examples of how she used it to map out her own career. You will also use this tool yourself, so that you can walk away knowing how to:
- Think systematically about your potential career options, including the “ambitious” or “big dream” goals you could consider and how they might be different than your current path.
- Identify obstacles, barriers, and home-life considerations that all need to be factored into the equation.
- Identify required skills and concrete steps that will move you closer toward your goal.
Jeanne A.K. Hey, Ph.D.
Dean Emerita, University of New England
Jeanne Hey is an experienced provider of professional development programs, specializing in leadership training for department chairs, program directors, and deans. She served as dean of the University of New England’s College of Arts and Sciences for eight years, overseeing 13 academic departments and 35 major programs at a time of upheaval and risk in higher ed.