Make connections, build community, and explore strategies to succeed with LGBTQ higher education leaders.
LGBTQ faculty and staff continue to lead in higher education—despite the ways in which heteronormative culture continues to perpetuate systemic marginalization and underrepresentation of LGBTQ leaders. In addition to a commitment to dismantling the heteronormative and cisnormative systems that create these inequities, it’s also vital to provide the space for current and future LGBTQ leaders to build community, celebrate accomplishments, explore strategies to navigate these challenges and succeed professionally.
The goal of this session is not to suggest that LGBTQ leaders must lead a certain way to be successful—but rather to provide a space for LGBTQ leaders to build community and learn from one another as they navigate and lead within a heteronormative culture.
Who Should Attend
Current and aspiring leaders interested in building community with other LGBTQ leaders should attend.
While this first program is created intentionally for leaders who identify as LGBTQ, any leader interested in creating systemic change at their institution to better support LGBTQ leaders is invited to join us for the second session: Supporting and Retaining LGBTQ Leaders in Higher Education: A Training for All Leaders.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Eastern
- Dr. Whitney will kick off the session by sharing insights into the ways how she created a framework for successfully navigating through any leadership position in a way that honors our whole identity, including our LGBTQ identity, and better ensures one’s professional success.
- Next, attendees will have the opportunity to drive the conversation with the goal of sharing and learning from others’ challenges and successes in higher education leadership.
- Finally, participants will explore how they can continue to build connections throughout their leadership journeys. We will provide an opportunity for anyone interested in creating a connection to continue the conversation, as well.
Karen M. Whitney, Ph.D
President Emerita, Clarion University
Throughout her 40-year career in higher education, Dr. Karen Whitney has held a variety of executive and leadership positions with increasing levels of responsibility, beginning as a Director to Associate Vice President, Vice Chancellor, President, and Chancellor. Karen is a nationally recognized organizational and leadership development writer, speaker, consultant and advisor.