Implement proactive advising to increase student retention.
Many institutions are already using proactive advising to help students in danger of failing or dropping out. But are you effectively communicating with both staff and academically at-risk students to maximize your impact? Proactive advising techniques can help you to increase student retention and completion rates through improving interdepartmental communication and creating a better understanding of which students to prioritize at certain points during the year.
Join us for a 90-minute virtual training to learn how advisors of undergraduate students can use proactive advising in order to improve students’ motivation and academic success. Here, industry expert Joseph Connell will share tips around timing and key messages for outreach, and how to get other departments onboard with your communication plan. We’ll also discuss how to empower students to be an active part of the advising process.
Who Should Attend
Academic advisors or frontline faculty and staff interested in learning more about proactive advising techniques, as well as those who lead advisement teams, will benefit from this training.
If You Can't Attend the Live Event
You can still register to receive a recording of the live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
1:00 - 2:30 p.m. Eastern
Our expert instructor will walk you through the five key components of a successful proactive advising process:
- Making the most of critical timing in your outreach points
- Improving interdepartmental communication
- Using data and predictive modeling to inform your practice
- Engaging students through coaching and self-advising courses
- Maximizing your content and delivery in student meetings
Assistant Vice President of Student Success, Ramapo College
As the Assistant Vice President of Student Success, Joe routinely leads academic advising, career development, early alert, tutoring, new student experience, opportunity programs, and placement testing. He has presented, served, and received awards for his work in several national higher-education organizations including ACPA, EDUCAUSE, AACRAO, NACADA, NACE, NASPA, and EAB/Starfish.