Brainstorm creative ways to support student belonging and retention in the face of social distancing and the pandemic.
We know that a sense of belonging is a crucial factor when it comes to student success and retention—but what does that look like during a global pandemic?
Join us for this virtual training to hear how our expert speaker is:
- Integrating lessons learned from his time working on retention at St. Cloud State University
- Using these lessons to inform the collaborative approach Bowling Green State University is taking to build a sense of community for students by focusing on flexibility, communication, and belonging in a socially distanced world
Be part of this interactive conversation to share and brainstorm creative ways you can support student belonging through connections with faculty, staff, and other students.
Who Should Attend
Student success and academic affairs leaders who oversee or contribute to retention efforts will benefit most from this virtual workshop.
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
3:00 – 4:30 p.m. Eastern
During this 1.5-hour online training, our expert will cover the following important considerations:
1. Approaches to Student Belonging Past and Present
Our expert speaker will share the theory and experience behind his approach to student retention and success, as well as how his institution is taking to build a sense of belonging in the face of challenges posed by the pandemic. You will hear early insights into the struggles and successes observed by our speakers and attendees to help you identify solutions that fit your students’ needs.
2. Collaborative Brainstorming
In this second section, you will have the opportunity to break out into small groups to share your best current thinking and challenges you face. You will also have the chance to generate new ideas to help foster a sense of belonging for students during this unconventional academic year.
3. Group Sharing and Action Planning
As a group, you will share ideas, help each other improve your thinking through interactive collaboration, and begin shaping your next steps.
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Bowling Green State University
Glenn started his career as a faculty member in the English Department at St. Cloud State University, where he also served as Chair, before becoming Interim Dean of University College. In all his roles, he worked to address barriers to student progress. As Interim Dean, he led several change initiatives that included a campus-wide effort to promote students’ sense of belonging.