FERPA Lessons and Quizzes
This member exclusive resource is FREE for members. Valued at $495.
Track your team’s FERPA course completion and earn certificates.
This member exclusive package of six 20-30 minute practice lessons with educational quizzes will help your entire front-line staff test their FERPA knowledge. Each lesson covers specific nuances of FERPA as they pertain to a department or campus area. FERPA affects every area of campus, so use these resources to train current and future faculty and staff and build your FERPA training library. Practice lessons include:
- FERPA vs. HIPAA (Student Health and Counseling Departments)
- What falls under the purview of HIPAA and FERPA
- How to store and protect health information
- How to comply with client/patient privileges while managing health/threat assessments
- FERPA and Athletics
- When to release information for rosters, websites, and the press
- Sharing scholarship and financial aid information
- FERPA and Front-Line Customer Service Staff
- Parents, students, and 3rd parties—what you can share
- Emails, calls, faxes, letters, and storage—how to share and protect privacy
- FERPA and Academic Advising
- Sharing class rosters, attendance, and grades
- Sharing information between faculty, staff, and students
- FERPA and Campus Safety and Security
- Responding to campus safety issues that involve students
- What can/cannot be shared with local police, the community, and parents
- FERPA and Faculty
- Taking attendance, posting grades, and other course communication
- What you can and cannot use to identify students: online, in-person, on paper
If you’re an enterprise Academic Impressions member, these lessons and quizzes can be shared across campus. Inquire today about becoming a member!
What You Get
We have designed these practice lessons for you to ensure that your entire front-line staff is up to date on FERPA regulations. With your registration, you can:
- Get permanent access to six training links
- Take quizzes to test your knowledge
- Onboard new employees to bring them up to speed on FERPA
- Refresh current staff on FERPA regulations
- Have consistent training for your entire staff
- Track your staff’s completion of this course and earn certificates
Who Will Benefit
There are very few areas of a college or university that FERPA does not impact. Whether the role is a registrar, a financial aid officer, a housing professional, a faculty member, or a coach–all of these and more need ongoing practice and a review of FERPA regulations.
Helen B. Garrett, University Registrar and Chief Officer of Enrollment Information Services, University of Washington
Known to many as the “FERPA Princess,” Ms. Garrett is a popular speaker at industry conferences on the topic of FERPA and she has recently served as the President of PACRAO (Pacific Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers). Her professional career began at the University of Southern California as an admissions counselor. She also worked for Whittier College, moving up through assistant and associate directors of admissions and director of recruitment positions. In 1996, she became associate director of admissions at the University of Oregon and took a position at Lane Community College in 2000 as director of enrollment services. This position turned into the associate dean of student affairs, enrollment, and student financial services in 2008. Garrett served as the executive dean of student affairs at Lane Community College from 2010-2012 and recently returned to her enrollment services roots for her current position.