By James Langley
What every board member should know about fundraising.
Alumni engagement and giving is a clear sign of an institution’s continued relevance, making the institution’s relationship with alumni a key priority for the board.
Yet the greatest barriers to higher levels of fundraising success can rarely be isolated in the advancement operation. They include:
- The lack of strategic adaptability.
- The inability to listen to constituents.
- Failure to realize that more students, alumni, and family are concluding that the value provided was equal to or less than the cost of the degree.
- Over-emphasis on short-term fundraising results at the expense of long-term constituency building and prospect pipeline development.
- Naivete around how private support is secured and sustained.
Praise for James Langley’s approach
“Insightful, inspirational, validating.”
Stephen Highsmith, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, Cabrini University
“Jim provides not just anecdotes but real world experiences backed up by data and analysis.”
Jen Raxter, Vice President of Advancement, Franklin Pierce University
The book is available in print and digital editions. The digital version is a downloadable PDF. Upon payment, you will find your book available to download in the Downloads section of My Account.