Table of Contents
Join our program to receive bite-sized diversity, equity & inclusion lessons daily for 5 days. Learn how to create an inclusive educational environment for LGBTQ+ students and colleagues.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion work has never been more important in higher education. Sign up for our free five-day program to sample our suite of best-in-class diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) training through two on-demand courses.
New to diversity, equity, and inclusion? Start with our 101 program to lay the foundation for your learning.
As faculty and staff, you have the power to help foster more inclusive environments for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff. Because of institutionalized oppression and individual discrimination, LGBTQ+ students (as well as faculty and staff) experience higher rates of violence and harassment, which may result in negative academic and mental health outcomes. Studies have identified factors that contribute to more intentionally inclusive environments for LGBTQ+ community members resulting in greater academic success and better physical and psychological health. To create such environments, you must have the awareness, knowledge, and skills to interact effectively with LGBTQ+ communities.
This course will take a foundational approach to help you:
- Define key concepts related to LGBTQ+ communities like sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
- Identify common barriers in higher education for LGBTQ+ students
- Implement recommended practices to foster an intentionally LGBTQ+ inclusive environment
- Reflect upon your own identities as they relate to gender and sexuality
For 5 days, you will get daily emails Monday through Friday with bite-sized videos and articles that you can complete in 30 minutes or less each day. If you complete all modules within 5 days, you will have the chance to request a certificate. New cohorts start every Monday.
Day 1 | 11 minutes
Introduction to Creating LGBTQ+ Inclusive Spaces
Watch: Welcome & Introduction and The Importance of Creating LGBTQ+ Inclusive Spaces in Higher Education
Day 2 | 25 minutes
Concepts, Language, and Terminology
Watch: Concepts, Language, and Terminology
Day 3 | 21 minutes
The Social and Campus Context
Watch: Understanding the Social Context and Understanding the Campus Context
Day 4 | 15 minutes
Taking Action & Next Steps
Watch: Creating Intentionally Inclusive Environments, Opportunities for Further Learning, and Closing Remarks
Day 5 | 28 minutes
- How Gender Bias in Higher Education Leadership Gets in the Way of the Collaboration We Need
- Gender Bias in Higher Education: Why We Need to Develop Self-Aware Leaders
- Challenging Androcentrism and Implicit Bias in the Academy
- Challenging Androcentrism in the Academy: Why We Need to Value Empathy More
Watch the Trailer
- 1 hr, 10 mins of video instruction
- 8 short videos
- 1 downloadable workbook
- Valued at $495. Free for members.
Completed our Gender Identity and Gender Bias program?
Please fill out this form to request a certificate.