Table of Contents
Department chairs are the crucial link between upper-level administration and faculty. A strong and effective department chair can significantly enhance academic life for both students and faculty. However, research suggests that many institutions do not recognize the critical importance of identifying and developing talented faculty with the skills needed for this position.
Join us online as we work with you to identify a “bench” of future academic leaders within your unit and to effectively develop their capabilities as a department chair by focusing on the following:
- Identifying the talents essential to successful department chairs
- Working with new department chairs to build competence, credibility, and leadership skills
- Ongoing development, feedback, and support of new department chairs
We will begin with an overview of the department chair role and desired characteristics of an effective chair. From there we will cover:
- Talent identification
- Grooming colleagues for leadership roles
- Working with new department heads
- Providing ongoing development and support
We will close by reviewing a case study that focuses on identifying and developing a future department chair.
Who should attend?
This webcast is designed for deans, associate deans, department chairs, or any other academic leaders involved in the identification and recruitment of future department chairs.
Dr. Jim Weese
Acting Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President (International), Executive Director, Western Leader Academy, Western University