Table of Contents
Support and manage your adjunct faculty more intentionally.
Most academic departments today employ adjunct faculty, but few Chairs are well-versed in the ins and outs of managing them. Adjuncts face unique challenges orienting to and integrating within the department, and as a Chair you must figure out how to support them effectively to ensure maximum productivity and a positive experience for both students and faculty.
In this training, our expert will share strategies for successfully supporting adjunct faculty both at the outset of and throughout the semester. You will learn how to:
- Provide baseline training on department policies, even without a formal orientation
- Structure touchpoints throughout the semester to build positive relationships and set them up for success
- Involve adjuncts more meaningfully in departmental decision-making and activities
- Make challenging conversations productive, including ways to provide meaningful feedback and areas for improvement
- Supporting adjuncts before classes begin
- Introducing and explaining department policies
- Setting adjuncts up for success in their teaching
- Building positive relationships with your adjunct faculty
- Structuring touchpoints to set up and maintain the relationship
- Visiting classes
- Fostering belonging and involvement in the department
- Evaluating adjuncts
- Developing effective criteria for evaluating adjuncts
- Using non-traditional metrics to retain good faculty
- Making difficult conversations with adjuncts productive
Who should attend?
This webcast is suitable for new and seasoned department chairs who manage adjunct faculty lines.