Curiosity drives learning. Yet for many of us, it is not uncommon to feel constrained in our curiosity. Fear of failure, reticence to challenge the norm, intolerance to ambiguity, or simply forgetting the power of curiosity can limit leaders in their ability to deal with complex problems. When we do not push beyond our limits and develop a curiosity mindset, we often miss out on the most valuable opportunities that can move us, our students, and our institutions forward.
Join us online and learn how to reframe the way you confront and communicate complex problems, so that you and others remain open to new possibilities and invite curiosity thinking. In this webcast, you’ll learn how to ask questions that invite possibilities, use data to broaden perspectives, and encourage the sharing of new ideas. You’ll also get tips on how to validate different ideas and create a sense of belonging as you foster diversity of thought, perspective, and experience within your team.
Who Should Attend
This webcast is designed for you if you’re looking to build skills as a creative leader and invite creativity into your own performance and that of your team. You will benefit from this training if you formally or informally lead teams, are looking for ways to encourage possibility thinking, and/or want to create space where curiosity can be embraced and nurtured.
Explore Our On-Demand Resources on Creativity
Designing Creative Solutions for Your Toughest Challenges
Solve your campus’ most difficult problems by releasing and actualizing creative ideas from across your campus.
Cultivating Creativity by Building Trust Within Your Team
You don’t need to be creative to foster creativity on your team. Learn how to create an environment where your team feels safe enough to take risks.
Section 1: Why is Curiosity Important?
You will briefly explore the impact and benefits that a curiosity mindset can have on your own performance and the performance of your team.
Section 2: How Can I Foster Curiosity Within Myself?
Take ownership of your curiosity and lean into ambiguity by learning how to:
- Ask powerful questions and use curiosity-forward language that avoids judgment and instead invites possibility thinking
- Use an improvisation technique to open up the conversation, be inclusive in thought, and reframe your perspective
- Explore ways to invite conversation outside of your subject matter expertise to broaden your perspective and gain new ideas
Section 3: How Can I Foster Curiosity in Others?
Walk away with easy-to-implement tips and strategies for how to:
- Communicate in a way that promotes a culture of idea generation that supports risk taking and humility
- Evaluate and communicate the right data to ease discomfort with ambiguity and move others outside of their comfort zone
- Create a sense of belonging by being intentional in who you invite to the table and how you recognize different perspectives and voices
Dean, School of Education, State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany
Jason is an award-winning scholar, public higher education leader, and noted developer of leaders. Before his current appointment, he held previous roles including Vice Provost and Senior Associate Vice Chancellor of Academic Planning and Strategic Leadership for the SUNY System. In this latter role, he led the Office of Presidential Leadership and Searches and had primary responsibility for leadership development for the SUNY system.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
What You Get
Get the live webcast and the recording for one price.
Get access to live webcast including Q&A.
Receive permanent and unlimited access to recording.
Download speaker slides and supplemental materials.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.