If you’re on a search committee, you’re working hard to ensure a fair and equitable hiring process. In the midst of the search, you may feel like you’re ensuring fairness by subscribing to notions like:
- “I don’t see skin color."
- “I’m colorblind.”
- “I treat all people the same.”
While you intend these as positive statements, they can also cast a shadow over your search process — negating a candidate’s unique experiences as a person of color or implying that racial privilege no longer exists.
Join us online to examine white privilege and how it can impact your search processes. We’ll reflect on our privileges together, and you’ll leave with tools to engage in uncomfortable conversations around race during the hiring process.
Who Should Attend
Human resources staff, department chairs, faculty, and administrator search committee members will benefit from this training.
- Understanding the concepts of white fragility, white privilege, and colorblindness
- Individual identity vs. inherent privilege
- Becoming aware of your privilege
- Using Your Voice
- Acknowledging your privilege
- Ensuring an equitable search free of implicit bias
- Having uncomfortable conversations on privilege and discrimination during the search process
Danielle R. Robinson - “Danny”
Associate Director of Admissions, Co-Advisor, Puerto Rican Student Association, SUNY Maritime College
Danny Robinson is responsible for planning, staffing, and implementing new strategies for recruitment to enroll and retain first-time undergraduate, transfer, and graduate students. Robinson focuses on targeting underrepresented student populations by developing and implementing diversity enrollment strategies according to institutional goals. Read Danny's full bio here.
Questions About the Event? Email this event's Program Manager, Courtney Biedermann.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.