You don’t need an authority position to have power; you need influence.
Having a position of authority is only one small piece of being a leader. A more important aspect of being a leader is exercising your influence. The savviest leaders know that behaving in ways that influence the feelings, thoughts, and actions of others is the piece that will ultimately give them traction.
Join us online to learn the signs and symptoms of influence. We will focus on the difference between influence and authority, and you will leave with advice on how to use your relational capital to influence up, across, and down.
Who Should Attend
Influencing is a powerful tactic no matter where you sit within your institution’s organizational hierarchy. This training will be useful if you are trying to influence both the people you supervise and report to, as well as peers with whom you regularly collaborate.
By profiling common scenarios of leaders in higher education, Jeanne Hey will highlight the key points of how to influence without authority.
- Your “Professional Relationship Account”
- Authority vs. Influence
- Influencing Up
- Using the power of persuasion
- Highlighting your competence in handling complex issues
- Influencing Across
- Leading and mentoring peers
- Finding common ground
- Influencing Down
- Listening to key messages
- Showing interest and respect
- Building relationships that grow your influence
Jeanne A.K. Hey, Ph.D.
Dean Emeritus, University of New England
Jeanne is an experienced provider of professional development programs, specializing in leadership training for department chairs, deans, and women in higher ed. She served as dean of the University of New England’s College of Arts and Sciences for eight years, overseeing 15 academic departments and 35 major programs at a time of upheaval and risk in higher ed. Read Jeanne’s full bio here.
Questions About the Event? Email this event’s Program Manager, Christine Murphy.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session – a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording – a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.