We know that high-impact practices support profound learning by promoting student engagement and real-world experience. Among those high-impact practices, service learning courses help students achieve a deeper understanding of course content. They can also shape their personal values and civic responsibility through reflection and participation in an organized service activity that serves community needs (Bringle, Hatcher, McIntosh, 2006).
For these compelling reasons, many faculty members, divisions, and entire institutions had plans to offer robust service learning courses only to be disrupted by the global pandemic. However, it is still possible to teach service learning courses that are just as impactful in the online environment.
Join us for this webcast, where our expert speaker—who has over a decade of experience teaching service learning courses online—will share example-based best practices to help you keep students engaged, serve community partners, and ultimately create dynamic learning experiences.
Who Should Attend
If you teach service learning courses or support service-learning efforts at your institution and want to learn how to effectively deliver a service learning course in the online environment, this program is for you. Faculty, Directors of Experiential & Service Learning, and academic leaders seeking ways to increase student engagement will benefit as well.
During this program, our speaker will focus on the following three strategies for success:
Part 1: Prepare Students, Faculty, and Community Partners for Success in a Virtual Environment
- Identify campus resources to support your online teaching strategy
- Create flexible and frequent connection points with students
- Establish strategies to engage community partners and meet their needs virtually
Part 2: Structure Your Course and Assignment Design to Promote Engaged Learning
Encourage and develop practical thinking and problem-solving skills in alignment with service-learning standards to:
- Promote diversity
- Provide meaningful service
- Create clear connections to the curriculum
- Build reciprocal partnerships
- Center youth voice
- Actively monitor progress
- Facilitate reflection
Part 3: Assess Student Learning
- Transparently establish learning goals
- Design measures such as rubrics to help students understand and attain learning outcomes
Dr. Christina Hicks-Goldston
Associate Professor and Graduate Coordinator, Austin Peay State University
Christina is an Associate Professor of Communication at Austin Peay State University, as well as a state-certified Service Learning trainer and member of the Service Learning Advisory Board for her university. Her film, Making the Connection: the Service Learning Revolution, received eight awards for excellence and design following its August 2014 release. Christina’s current projects include an online Service Learning course at APSU, and research on empathy-building activities for students.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
What You Get
Get the live webcast and the recording for one price.
Get access to live webcast including Q&A.
Receive permanent and unlimited access to recording.
Download speaker slides and supplemental materials.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.