A successful Chief of Staff juggles many priorities, communicates effectively across various channels, and has a clear understanding of roles and responsibilities. Taking steps to get clarity regarding your role, engage with stakeholders, and learn the expectations of the President when you first come into the role can ensure a smooth transition for all parties involved and help expedite your effectiveness and impact.
In this one-hour training, our expert, Max Allen, will highlight the three key considerations to get right during your first month as Chief of Staff. You will leave this webcast feeling more confident to do what is necessary to pave the way to success in your new role.
Browse our upcoming training calendar specifically designed for Chiefs of Staff, or become a member to get instant access to them.
- Managing Presidential Transitions as Chief of Staff (October 20, 2020)
- A Process-Oriented Approach to Working with Your Board and President as Chief of Staff (November 9, 2020)
- Free Webcast | Accelerate Your Professional Growth: A Forum for Chiefs of Staff (December 1, 2020)
Who Should Attend
If you have recently been promoted to Chief of Staff or a similar role of support for a President, Chancellor, or Provost, and you are charged with implementing initiatives across constituents, you will benefit from this training.
Our expert instructor will discuss the following key considerations:
- Understanding the nuances of your path to Chief of Staff
Your path to your current role as Chief of Staff will greatly impact your initial steps during the first month. You may have come into your role through various avenues. In this first session, we will discuss the nuances of these different paths and how they inform your first action items.
- Understanding the responsibilities and limits of your role
In this second section, we will discuss initial questions to ask so that you have a firm understanding of your role in internal and external communications and supervisory responsibilities.
- Managing your office’s budget
In our final section, we will talk about strategies and steps to take with financial officers so that you are informed and are able to make budget decisions based on the priorities of your President or leader.
Vice President and Chief of Staff, Clemson University
Since his arrival at Clemson University in June 2015, Max Allen has helped strengthen the overall national reputation and awareness of the Clemson brand. He serves as the chief advisor to President Clements and is the primary liaison with the vice presidents and other direct reports to the president. Under his leadership, he has helped design and implement the Clemson Forward strategic plan, coordinated a strategic reorganization of the campus diversity efforts, served as the primary liaison with key community leaders and partners, served as a member of the university’s crisis decision team, and helped with the successful completion of the $1 billion “Will to Lead” capital campaign.
The Academic Impressions Online Learning Experience
Our virtual trainings go far beyond just replicating PowerPoint presentations online: these experiences are intentionally designed to give you the kind of robust and dynamic learning experience you’ve come to expect from Academic Impressions. These trainings provide you with an active learning environment and an online space where you can explore ideas, get inspired by what your peers are doing, and understand the range of possibilities around a certain topic. You will leave these sessions with practical solutions that you can take back to your team or task force.
What you will get:
- A dynamic, interactive, and high-touch virtual learning experience designed to engage and set you up for growth
- Seamless online face-time, networking, group work, and Q&A opportunities from the comfort of your own workspace
- Practical takeaways and hands-on knowledge
- Guidance from vetted subject matter experts
- Unlimited access to all recorded online sessions
What You Get
Get the live webcast and the recording for one price.
Get access to live webcast including Q&A.
Receive permanent and unlimited access to recording.
Download speaker slides and supplemental materials.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session - a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording - a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.