By James Langley
An effective president does so much more than raise funds and shake hands.
Your institution’s president is uniquely positioned to scan the horizon and help develop and communicate a vision of the future to prospective donors. In this book, James Langley, president and founder of Langley Innovations and past vice president for advancement at Georgetown University, contends that the president’s primary role in fundraising is not to ask for money but to create the conditions that attract significant philanthropic investments.
This book offers a forward-thinking look at:
- How the president can take a lead role in defining the case for support and identifying inspiring projects defined by specific objectives rather than categories of institutional need
- How the president can define for donors the difference a philanthropic dollar makes in achieving key objectives
- The respective roles and responsibilities of the president, the vice president for advancement, and the board chair
- The president’s specific role in donor stewardship, campaigns, piloting new models for fundraising, volunteer management, and asking
- How to onboard a new president in ways that strengthen rather than stall the work of fundraising
The book is available in print and digital editions. The digital version is a downloadable PDF. Upon payment, you will find your book available to download in the Downloads section of My Account.
Reviews for Langley’s Fundraising Guides
“This is is a treasure trove of great advice, forward-thinking reflections, and the tough, but much needed questions that presidents, boards, vice presidents and deans need to ask one another before embarking on a fundraising campaign. Jim Langley is a thought leader who understands not just the history of philanthropy and advancement but shines a light on where universities need to begin altering practices to thrive in this era of competing philanthropic interests.”
Matthew T. Lambert, Vice President for University Advancement, William & Mary
More Fundraising Guides from James Langley
- Fundraising for Deans: A Guide
- Fundraising for Boards: A Guide
- Comprehensive Fundraising Campaigns: A Guide for Presidents and Boards