Hear from a director of alumni engagement whose leadership has resulted in four consecutive years of recognition through the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE).
All alumni-student mentoring programs connect students to alumni for professional development and engagement purposes. But while some programs aim to serve as many students as possible, other programs try to foster meaningful connections by being highly personalized and selective.
Join us online to learn about Leadership OU, a highly selective, award-winning program at Oakland University. This program pairs only 15 promising students with mid-career alumni mentors while also connecting those students to alumni guest speakers who are prominent in their fields.
While Oakland chose to serve only a small number of students because of limited resources, they’ve successfully channeled the selectivity into one of the program’s greatest assets. Through their year-long professional development curriculum, they’ve inspired $90,000 in mentor giving and $108,000 in speaker giving.
Who Should Attend
Alumni relations and engagement professionals, even those with limited resources, will learn how to build and sustain a selective alumni-student mentoring program. Senior leaders and faculty who work with advancement offices may also enjoy this webcast. Senior leaders and faculty who work with advancement offices may also enjoy this webcast to learn how the Leadership OU program began as a student success initiative.
To help you understand the key components of the Leadership OU program, our speakers will guide you through the following:
1) Overview of the Leadership OU Program: You’ll learn why the program was created and what problems it has solved — for both students and alumni.
2) Day-to-Day Management: You’ll learn how students, mentors, and guest speakers are selected — as well as how events are used to develop relationships.
3) How to Measure Impact on Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving: You’ll learn how Oakland University measures success related to alumni engagement and annual giving.
Director of Alumni Engagement, Oakland University
Erin was appointed to her current role as Director of Alumni Engagement at Oakland University in 2016. Under Erin’s leadership, the office of alumni engagement develops strategies and initiatives to engage the university’s 118,000+ alumni population through meaningful programs, events, mentorships, and volunteer opportunities. This work has resulted in four consecutive years of recognition through the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), including Pride of CASE V awards for Best Practices in Alumni Relations and Best Volunteer Engagement Program for Leadership OU. Read Erin’s full bio here.
Aaron W. Helander
Student Engagement and Outreach Coordinator, Oakland University Alumni Engagement
Aaron coordinates all student engagement initiatives for the office of alumni engagement with the primary responsibility of managing the Leadership OU program. A graduate of Leadership OU himself, Aaron looks forward to helping high-achieving students reach new heights by connecting them with impactful alumni mentors and speakers. Read Aaron’s full bio here.
Questions About the Event? Email this event’s Program Manager, Lisa Lafflam.
What’s included in your purchase?
- Live webcast session – a live presentation where you have the chance to ask questions and get personalized answers from our expert speakers. You must purchase the product prior to the live date in order to attend the live session.
- Webcast recording – a recording of our live session that you can access anywhere, anytime.
For more details about this product, please visit our Product FAQs.